Artistic Obsession

7:28 pm

You know that one hobby you just can’t get away from. You’ll go away from it for a while but eventually, without fail, you’ll come running back to that hobby and question why you ever left. This is me with the arts. Drama, music, film, fashion, whatever. If it’s in the arts, there’s a 99% chance I’ll be in love with it.


I had drama and film classes back in high school and they were some of the best times of my schooling journey. It was actually where I made my mini-documentary on diabetes and also the reason I even know who my roommates are.

I’ve always thought that art in any form is a great thing to have growing up. Being in a rural town during my schooling meant there were less open opportunities, but you just have to look for them and when you do look you’ll realize there are a lot more opportunities than you first thought.

I think the arts are the reason that I love public speaking so much now. My drama class really allowed me to open up and feel confident in standing in front of people and speaking.


I know there’s the ignorant few who say that the arts are a waste of time or are not as important as other classes (we’re looking at you mathematics). Now I’m not saying the core classes aren’t important, of course they are, but they do get a sort of god complex surrounding them.

The arts are great for people who want to get out of their shell and new meet people. It allows artists of any kind to create and inspire and utilize their creativity.

Even now, three years after high school, a dropped film major and a drama elective later and I can’t let it go. That’s the funny thing, for so long I thought I would be working in the arts, but now I want to work for it. Entertainment public relations is my career goal and thanks to my amazing internship at Stage Addiction, I’m getting there.

I try and go to all the arts and entertainment I have time for, it’s a bit of an obsession, but it’s an obsession that is coupled with happiness and you should never deny yourself of what makes you happy.

The reason I decided to write this post is because I’m actually going to Melbourne later this week for exactly that, the arts or more specifically, theatre.


I’m lucky enough to have a group of friends who are in a theatre group called The Suicide Ensemble. They are an amazing group of young creatives and are all so incredibly talent. They’ve already performed at Brisbane’s Anywhere Theatre Festival in the cute little café/ bar Bean

But now they’re national!

Melbourne Fringe Festival is the next stop for The Suicide Ensembles’ two part performance – The Reality Event: Suicide + Game.

If you have time between the 24th of September and the 29th of September to see their shows at the Melbourne Fringe Festival – BOOK TICKETS NOW.

Disclaimer: the content is very heavy (as you can tell by the name), so have a look at their Facebook page first to see if it’s for you.

I know it sounds like I’m just plugging their show and that I’m selling out after my second post but I’m not. I’m just super proud of this ensemble and what they’ve done and I would love if you could check them out and support them too.

Anyway, in a round-about way I think I’ve managed to show you just how important I think the arts are for people. It’s a choice to be a part of the arts, yes, so that choice is one that should be open to anyone who wants to attend. I have chosen it, or maybe it's chosen me, either way it’s with me and I wouldn’t change that at all.

You Might Also Like

0 comments